In the latest Threat Report from the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC), it revealed that cybercrimes are steadily increasing and that Australia continues to be a target of persistent and sophisticated cyber espionage. With many high-profile data breaches this year alone, it is not surprising that the Australian government is calling for many organisations to seriously reconsider their IT security strategies.
We have summarised the threat report into three key messages:
- Over the past 12 months, there have been 47,000 cybercrime incidents which are a 15% overall increase in Online Scams and 22% in Fraud.
- The Essential Eight, a mitigation strategy defined by the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), is now considered the baseline for cybersecurity strategy that if implemented correctly can effectively prevent or minimise the extent of compromise. It mitigates these common incidents:
- Targeted cyber intrusions
- Malicious insiders
- Business email compromise
- Threats to industrial control systems
- Adversaries who have destructive intent
- Prevention is better than cure. The initial cost of implementing a robust cybersecurity mitigation and incident management strategy such as ASD’s Essential Eight may seem high for some organisations. However, it represents an imperative investment, reducing long-term costs and risks.
Don’t wait to experience a security breach before you start taking action on your cybersecurity strategies. Professional Advantage can help you mitigate risks and ensure that you have the right technologies and practices in place to keep your business protected with Essential Eight. Contact us today for a consultation with our security experts to know more about Essential Eight.